In addition to the regularly AMA and TMB accepted methods, Dr. Manso’s medical practice often uses diagnostic and treatment methods that are known as complementary, alternative or wholistic.
Some of these methods have not been accepted by consensus mainstream medicine.
Some of the characteristic qualities of complementary medicine that are used in Dr. Manso’s practice include:
- A person’s lifestyle including his or her diet, exercise patterns, sleep habits, stresses and interpersonal relationships are believed to be directly related to the development and maintenance of illness. Complementary medicine evaluates these factors and seeks to help the patient give up negative life style patterns and establish more positive ones regardless of age or type of medical problem.
- Although prescription and over-the-counter medications are used when the physician believes they are necessary, an attempt is first made to use products that are natural to the body. These include nutritional supplements such as vitamins, minerals, enzymes, amino acids, essential fatty acids and herbs which may not have been studied or accepted by consensus mainstream medicine.
- Because we look for imbalances in the body and for trends that may result in illness if not addressed, we sometimes order tests that may be considered by consensus mainstream medicine to be either unnecessary or of no value. These may include tests for nutritional status, such as blood levels or functional vitamin or mineral tests, hormonal levels or tests for allergies.
- We believe that environmental factors may play a major role in health and disease. Some of the diseases of unknown cause may be triggered or perpetuated by common environmental substances, many of which are man-made. Individuals may vary greatly in their susceptibility to various substances, so that one individual may be made deathly ill by an exposure to a substance while another is not at all affected. We attempt to identify offending substances and help patients to detoxify from past exposures that are affecting them.
- We believe in the mind-body-spirit connection in bringing about wellness and preventing and dealing with illness. Consequently, part of our program may involve recommendations for counseling, meditation or psychotherapy.
- Exercise is extremely important in maintaining health and promoting wellness as well as helping one to recover from an illness. Graded exercise, both aerobic and stretching, is encouraged for most patients.
- We sometimes use medications that are approved by the FDA to treat a condition for which the FDA has not approved the medication. Perhaps the best example is our use of EDTA chelation therapy to treat conditions other than lead poisoning.
The above represents some of the ways that our practice may differ from other physician’s offices that you have visited.
You should also be aware of the following points:
- We very much believe in a person being involved in his own health care and encourage questions, exploration and participation in decisions surrounding diagnostic and treatment procedures. We encourage consultations with consensus mainstream medicine practitioners and use of any other means that a person feels he needs to help him decide about health issues.
- Our practice is exclusively an office-based practice. We do not work in a hospital. Additionally, some patients come long distances to receive care at our office. Consequently, WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND that in addition to our care you maintain a relationship with one or more physicians appropriate to your condition and situation. For example, most of you may want to have a relationship with a family physician or a pediatrician in the case of children. Cardiac patients should have either a cardiologist or an internist or both. We are happy to cooperate with any physician who is willing to work with us.
- In our office, we make available a few nutritional supplements and other recommended products that are difficult to find elsewhere. Generally, we believe the prices are competitive with outside sources. (Please let us know if you find this not to be the case.) Mail order service is also available from our office. YOU ARE IN NO WAY OBLIGATED TO PURCHASE THESE PRODUCTS FROM THIS OFFICE. YOU ARE FREE TO PURCHASE THESE PRODUCTS FROM ANY SOURCE THAT YOU MAY CHOOSE.
- Most health insurance plans today have clauses which limit coverage to “usual and customary fees for reasonable and necessary services”. Because many of the treatments used in complementary medicine are not recognized by consensus mainstream medicine, we can not guarantee the amount or availability of coverage for our services and treatments under your health care insurance policy. You are responsible for the payment of our invoices without regard to insurance coverage. You are entitled to know the cost of all services and procedures in advance. Please ask if they are not told to you.
The information on this website is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional and is not intended as medical advice. It is intended as a sharing of knowledge and information from the research and experience of Dr. Manso and his community. This website contains statements and information not approved by the FDA. The AMA and TMA may disagree with some statements found on this website.
Dr. Manso encourages you to make your own health care decisions based upon your research and in partnership with a qualified health care professional. The entire contents of this website are based upon the personal experience and opinions of Dr. Manso, unless otherwise noted. Individual articles are based upon the opinions of the respective author, who retains copyright as marked.